Thursday, April 16, 2009

Does anyone know how much getting all your teeth removed and having permanent dentures put in is?

I have grown up very poor, and therefore haven%26#039;t been able to afford very much dental care. After having 3 kids and a messy divorce, not much financial has improved, my ex ruined my credit too. My teeth are basically rotting right out of my mouth and pieces are busting off all the time. Abscesses are very common, so much so, that any money that would go to a monthly payment to a dentist is spent on a doctor%26#039;s visit ($200) to get the prescription for Penicillin ($10). We make barely too much for Medicare and not enough to afford private insurance. My fiancee%26#039;s job doesn%26#039;t provide medical insurance. I%26#039;ve heard that there are dentures that are similar to implants in that you can still eat, but cost way less.





What to do?


We live in Washington State.

Does anyone know how much getting all your teeth removed and having permanent dentures put in is?
I am so sorry because I do know your pain!





At the age of 27 all of my upper teeth were finally pulled after suffering so many absesses that I would wake in the morning with black eyes!





My grandmothers dying words were to beg me to never get lower dentures so I did all I could to hold onto them...





First of all I suggest looking around to see if there is a Dental College in the area. I know there is one in Portland OHSU and I am not sure what part of WA you are in.... OHSU may or may not server out of state? They do accept WA Medicaid so I am wondering if they may allow out of state members at the dental school...? Either way, I would be there is a WA dental school with a quick search I found some info at the link below.





The dental schools often offer VERY low cost treatment.





Next: I literally saved my pennies in a can and took care of the emergencies as they happened....





I would advise that you also find a dentist and let them know your situation... This way you might be able to obtain the antibiotics without an ER visit and possibly save some costs on emergency care.





Ask for perscriptions that WalMart will fill for the $4.00 costs there are so many antibiotics on the list that one or more of them should be in the $4.00 plan.





Once you have an estabilished relationship with a dentist it is possible to work with their office and set up some plans. There are also many Finacing options that may be possible where you can make payments.





Dentures are about $2,500 per upper or lower but, once you have them you are done and won%26#039;t need new ones for years... Most dental plans won%26#039;t even pay for new ones until at least 10 years have passed.... It is really all about getting to the point the work can be done.





HOLD ON to every single snaggle tooth on the bottom that you possibly can.... Without lower teeth our jaws slip back and by 50 we don%26#039;t have a chin!





Later maybe your life will improve as mine did and you may actually be blessed with the ability to afford the lower denture implants.... These are still NOT covered by insurance so all of us have to pay out of pocket.... It took me more than 10-years but in 2003 I was able to have four implants and a denture which attaches to a bar connected to the implants. Still not pleasant but at least I will keep my chin!





Good luck, I know this is horrible--it kills our self image and it is unbearable to know that our mouths are so costly due to circumstances beyond our control.... You will be in my thoughts...





(one other tip for pain.... at the store they sell Crown and Filling repair kits and part of the mix is liquid Clove Oil which will kill tooth pain better than anything else I ever found...)
Reply:I%26#039;ve never heard of permanent dentures but I just posted a question in yahoo about student dentists. If money is one of your problems, you should check into becoming a patients for students dentists. They are supposedly much cheaper and since they are students, I would think that they would be really careful! (They%26#039;re under the guidance and watchful eyes of registered dentists anyway)



Poetry

No comments:

Post a Comment