Friday, July 31, 2009

Removing permanent braces?

I had permanent braces on the back of my bottom 6 teeth for about 17 years and now I want to remove them. I'm 35 yrs old and I take care of my teeth, have no cavities. Just recently I have notice plaque on my teeth between my gums and the cement. That's because it is difficult to clean with a brush and the dentist does not spend the time to clean that area well.


So my question is, can I remove my the permanent braces without losing my teeth at my age? I understand it my teeth will be week because the 6 teeth was supported each other (with the wire). I don't care if my teeth move, I am more worried if the plaque will get under the gums or teeth coating and start some serious problem.

Removing permanent braces?
First of all, let's clear up your misconceptions....Your teeth are not being held together with the permanent retainer; it was there just to hold your teeth straight. They will not be weak if you remove the wire.





Next issue is the amount of calculus building up on the retainer. .. It is the dentist's or hygienist's job to remove all calculus and plaque from the permanent retainer when you are having your teeth cleaned. It is more difficult than regular scaling, but every office has the tools and equipment to do so.





For you to clean these areas it is difficult, but not impossible. Floss threaders or SuperFloss can get through and prevent the calculus from building up.





Your main question is really, can you remove the wire? Yes, you certainly can remove it. Your teeth do shift your whole life, especially if you grind your teeth. But if you are not concerned about that, having the wire removed is a lot healthier for your teeth than having a heavy buildup of plaque and calculus. The health of the tissues should be your primary concern and if you can't keep these teeth clean, by all means, remove the wire.



Philosophy

No comments:

Post a Comment